Friday, May 22, 2015

Some rainy cold May days......

The garden is in, the new fence guarding the chickens, ducks and turkeys from the sly fox that snatch more than a few last week is up, and the rains and cold temps came in!  This called for homemade broth lovingly combined with Kale from another friend at the market who sells greens to make a delicious, hearty, and oh so nourishing soup.  I am proud to say I am more and more brave in my cooking adventures.  My friend who bakes gluten free for us at the market has totally hooked me on Kale.  She made soup for us the other day and I followed suit.  Here is what I came up with.


1 lb. sausage
1 large onion
5-6 small peppers
a bunch of cilantro
1 quart plus 1 pint soup stock, I used our chicken and pork stock
1 quart water
salt, and pepper to taste
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. garlic
diced potatoes (optional)
large bag/bundle of kale
Any other veggies you like to add, beans, carrots, celery, etc.

In a large soup/stock pot drizzle two tablespoons oil or a few tabs of butter.  Sauté one onion, and I had peppers that day so they went in.  I added salt and pepper, garlic, and oregano.  After these veggies got soft I added my broth.  About 1 quart and 1 pint.  Then I added one quart of water.  I let this start to simmer and come to a small boil before I added anything else.  I had cilantro that I forgot to sue in a recipe so that got chopped and added, along with the chopped Kale.  I had sausage front the hog we just got from the butcher.  After I fried the sausage and added it to the soup it simmered until the kale was soft.  I didn't have to add any more salt or pepper, and it hit the spot on the cold rainy days this week.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment