Thursday, March 5, 2015

Beef broth

We are in the habit of getting a cow butchered for our deep freeze.  This generally lasts us about 4-6 months.  We started this about 4 years ago and have loved a freezer full of good beef, that was butchered in a small shop, based on the cuts we chose.  Price varies due to market change, but it is far cheaper as an average price per pound when that includes at least many pounds of 3 different cuts of roast, ground beef, stew meat, beef patties, soup bones, lard, and various cuts of steak.  We have had good luck with our meat, sometimes the steak you open does not look restaurant perfect, still tastes great though!  We also have had some roasts be more fatty than others, but what it all boils down to today is.....beef broth!

I had never made my own broth, but read a lot about it.  It has wonderful enriching nutrients from the bone marrow, and the hearty tasty soup produced is delicious!  As we emptied out our freezer this time I had about 10 beef bones to use.  Some were labeled soup bones, and others just neck etc.  I researched online and found a good recipe for my needs again at one of my all time favorite blog reads, The Prairie Homestead.  I love how she writes, and after a post I am sure to feel more adventurous and try something new. 

Here is what I did:

I took the soup bones, 3 what looked like large ones to me, and followed the recipe to roast them in the oven for a while.  Until they were brown and tasty looking, if beef bones could be tasty, they looked it! 
I don't remember exactly how long I roasted them, maybe an hour?  More color= more flavor

I had some of the veggies she mentions, but not the fresh herbs or garlic cloves so I use dried.  I chopped 3 carrots, 3 stalks of celery, and an onion.  I did not include the tops as our guinea pig, Tootsie, loves them as treats.  The veggies were placed in the bottom and the meat on top of them.  Then I added the spices garlic, basil, thyme, and salt and pepper.  I did not have pepper corns so I just used our salt and pepper shakers. Last I added the 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, and cold water up to about the top of the crock pot so it wouldn't bubble over.
I think I need a bigger crock pot!

 
I turned it to high to get the meat cooking, then once it was boiling turned it to low.  I let this simmer overnight until it was all cooking down and the lid fit again.  It was smelling delicious, and the juices were flowin'! I strained out all the stewed veggies for the chickens, an let them pick the bones clean.  I decided to give the dog one of the bigger bones but he ended up eating it and getting sick later.  The cooking process really weakened the bones more than I thought, and all that awesome marrow and gelatin went into the broth. 
I canned poured 2 quarts of stock, I am not sure if I just cooked mine down more or what, but it turned out great for my first try, I think!  The fat rose to the top and was easily scraped clean once cold and used to fry up some dinner the next day.  So clean and had extra added meat flavor, naturally! 

 
So of course we had to try one quart in some soup.  I had also made a roast at the same time day since the oven was warmed up and we added our favorite veggies(canned), corn, green beans, red beans.  I had small ring noodles that were a fun addition.  I did add some tomato soup to the pot to give it more of a thicker soup consistency.  Our second daughter, the foodie, LOVED it!  The oldest, picky eater especially when food is mixed, didn't like it so much.  It was warm, hearty, and great for a cold winter day.  Something about soup on the stove/crock pot just warms the whole house!  I will definitely be anxious to use my other quart and make some more soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment