Sunday, January 25, 2015

New Arrivals!

A family fun weekend with new arrivals at the homestead means little blogging for this busy mom.  But now that all are quietly watching a movie on this rainy day, I have some time to type. 



Though the weekend was mostly about our almost 8 year olds birthday party, we did have some farm fun too.  Alex maintained the coop with its weekly deep clean, and new bedding. And of course we had to use the tractor :)  He also surprised us with new chicks he found at the store.  As I mentioned before we are hatching our own, which hopefully will peek their little heads out this week, but he couldn't resist these beautiful fluff balls.  They are Ameraucanas and should hatch lighter colored eggs with a green or blue hue, and some more Rhode Island Reds.  I just can't get over the beautiful colorings on the Ameracanas. 






With these we were told they are straight run, and we might get some roosters.  90% hen, 10% roo.  We know how that has worked out in the past!  Some are darker brown with light markings, and others are lighter with darker markings. 



























He also found the Rhode Island Reds, which are such a cute little red head to have around!


 
 

We had another new visitor here at Hopewell Acre Farms, Flat Asher!  It was so fun to be creative with this little guy our friends sent for a 2nd grade class project.  Here are a few things he explored at our house.

Took a ride on Duncan :)

 

Headed straight for the coop!
Mr. Roo checking out the intruder!



He found a lady ready to lay.

 
And found the bounty!

 
 Went to check out the tractor with Isaac.

 
Visited with Rockstar and practiced walking with him :)
 
 
Found some toys to play with.

 
Rode along to the movie Paddington with Morgan and her friends.
 
Wanted to get in on the present action.

 
And had a real adventure at the earing store! 
 
We are so excited to send him back with pictures after his adventure with us!


 One thing we love here is mail!  We were anxiously waiting for another package from Grandma and Grandpa in Iowa.  They said they had a surprise for mom and dad this time.  I could hardly wait until I had time today to get on Skype with them as I opened the box. 

 
We have been pondering what our label for the LLC would include.  We knew we wanted a Barred Rock rooster as this was what started out in our flock, and we feel is an important part of our homestead.  They made this for us to hang with our LLC name on the property!  I LOVE it!  So thoughtful and what an awesome personal touch!  I love my parents and how they support whatever wild idea we get into our heads!  We definitely will be finding a special place for this!

So if the weekend could not get any more full of fun activities or packages another one arrived from my husbands shopping trip with the chicks.......

This might be the start of a beautiful friendship!  I have been encourage for quite a while by mom, my friends, and my husband to try this activity that I haven't touched since middle school Home Economics.  I have many projects and repairs swimming around in my head, and on my Pinterest pages, so get ready for some fabric to fly!
 
Spend time with someone you love, and eat some eggs!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment